Monday, June 27, 2011

Things I didn't know...

About being pregnant...
and some I kind of knew

1.    Leg cramps.
What the heck is that about? 
A few weeks ago I woke up in the middle of the night with the worst pain in my calf. The muscle was so tight and I wasn't even flexing. It hurt SO bad

2.    Heart burn.
Ok, I kind of knew about this one but I didn't even know what heart burn was until I got pregnant. It's a good things Tums taste like giant Smarties.

3.    Everyone LOVES giving pregnancy advice
I guess I should have known this one. People give you advice on what worked for them like all pregnancies are the same... Advice turns into stories about their own pregnancy... Stories turn into two people trying to one-up each other with their worst pregnancy stories... Then within a few minutes you're not even part of the conversation anymore, but you still feel like you have to stand there and listen cause you started the whole conversation just by being pregnant.

4.    People don't look you in the face anymore.
Most conversations I have now are 10% eye contact and 90% eye to belly contact. Its like they want to see if I've gotten any bigger within the time period of our conversation... or maybe they just want to make sure the bump is still there. I'm not really sure.

5.    Touch first... ask second
I've noticed a lot lately that people will touch my belly AND THEN ask if its ok that they touch it. I really don't mind much, just seems a little backwards.

6.    "You're getting so big!"
For most people, this phrase is thought to be a compliment to a pregnant person. What do I say to that? Thank you? I've also heard, "You look so pregnant today." Or, "Wow, you really grew over the weekend."
What is the proper response to things like that? Saying that you've gained weight to any other person would not be a compliment but with the right tone of voice, saying it to a pregnant person suddenly becomes alright. And really, I don't mind it when people say things like that. I've even had one girl at work tell me that she was glad that I finally didn't look like I just had a beer belly anymore... again, it was a compliment... I think.



And now for your viewing pleasure...
Here's a picture of me in the classic "I'm pregnant" pose
I'm 26 weeks along.
That's almost 6 months.
And I'm almost in my third trimester


7 comments:

ConnieB said...

Cathy!! You look great! I have to say #3 cracked me up- well the whole thing really. I cant STAND the comments people make when you're prego. UGH! lol.

So thanks for posting on your other blog about this because I completely missed the first post about it. I thought you stopped blogging. :p

Congrats again on the baby GIRL!!

Emily said...

Funny post. Thanks for reminding me that your blog moved. It was fun catching up.

jen + scott said...

Haha, loved this post!

deborah b. said...

A new blog, eh? Pretty spiffy. You had me dying laughing at this post. haha I even read your #3 to Tyler... so true, so funny! I love your new home!
Miss you.

Brittany said...

You make pregnancy beautiful... (insert "awe" here). This blog cracked me up.

Brittany said...

I take that back, I think all pregnancies are beautiful... maybe I should have said "effortless" or something. haha.

Skye said...

ha ha, I know. Congrats, so excited for you!